Howey in the Hills, FL
Job Title: Quality Assurance Technician
Department: Quality Assurance
Reports To: Quality Assurance Manager
Purpose of Job:
Accountable for quality of product. Ensure the cleanliness, orderliness and the safety of quality assurance and production areas. Assist and follows the supervision of the QA Manager.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Inspect incoming ingredients and packaging material using lab equipment for quantitative analysis or COAs for vendor supplied analysis and senses for organoleptic analysis.
- Determine acceptability based on ingredient and packaging material specifications.
- Record results, maintain receiving logs, for record keeping and audit purposes.
- Inform QA Lead or Manager of any out of spec situations or negative trends.
- Develop specifications and analysis recording sheets for new ingredients/materials.
- Assist R&D and Purchasing in evaluating new suppliers.
- Submit ingredient samples from current and new suppliers to approved labs for authenticity and pesticide analysis per procedure.
- Assist Warehouse with development and performance of receiving/handling/storage procedures.
- Verify Batch Report meets Formula System requirements for blending with correct ingredient and quantities.
- Assist R & D in developing formulas for new products.
- Maintain formula system by keeping formula manual current.
- Audit blending operations for conformance to process specifications.
- Prepare solutions used in testing following written procedure and safe handling requirements.
- Proper use of all test equipment resulting in accurate and repeatable test results, following written procedures and safe handling requirements.
- Maintain, calibrate and program all lab and test equipment and perform daily maintenance.
- Gather random samples from packaging lines and evaluate quality of product and packaging as specified in quality control manuals.
- Audit quality tests performed by Operations (including weights, dye checks, leak checks, etc.) requires thorough understanding of tests.
- Thorough knowledge of product weight procedure (including Datamyte system and USDA requirements.)
- Thorough understanding of all USDA requirements and quality tests.
- Understanding of manufacturing equipment in all areas, able to recognize potential problems.
- Maintain complete, accurate and legible records of all inspection data, prepares daily reports.
- Notifies other department heads, as needed, of serious problems during the production run. Maintains a close working relationship with Shift Supervisors, assist them in determining if the line down should be shut down if the product being packaged is unacceptable. Assists Operations as needed, till deviations are resolved. Determines if product should continue to be produced.
- Responsible for determining if product should be placed on Hold, and verifying that Hold product is isolated and tagged, to assure non-conforming product does not leave the plant.
- Keeps QA Manager informed of any variation in operations, procedures or inspection results that might affect the quality of the finished product.
- Coordination Quality Hold System.
- Updates Hold Procedure and Reports/Tags as business needs change.
- Initiates and concludes all Hold Reports.
- Review Holds on a daily basis and communicates daily and monthly summary of Holds.
- Performs periodic physical audits of Hold System.
- Thorough knowledge of HACCP requirements related to thermal process charts and required documentation.
- Investigates non-conformance of product and process and determines root causes of non-conformances, assist Operations in establishing corrective actions.
- Lead by setting example of excellence; through hard work, professional integrity, through testing and record keeping, support of company/department goals.
- Train operators how to: operate lab equipment and perform ingredient, packaging, product and process testing, interpret written work instructions and procedures, carry out quality programs, complete records, enforce specs, make decisions in out of spec situations.
- Teach problem solving skills.
- Monitor Operators performance by daily review and feedback of records, accompaniment on assignments, observation of performance, being available for assistance.
- Thorough knowledge of Quality systems; including Formula System, HACCP, Traceability, Ingredient and Packaging Specification, Pesticide program plus GMPs, AIB standards and customer requirements, pest control, USDA.
- Develop procedures to meet Quality Systems Requirements. (Using Country Pure Foods Requirements as a baseline).
- Find solutions to quality related issues, lead problem solving teams.
- Implement programs to meet company and departmental objectives.
- Knowledge of many areas and their procedures including manufacturing, purchasing, R & D, Shipping, customer Service, etc.
- Develop process capability studies on manufacturing equipment to determine appropriate product specifications ranges.
- Perform repeatability studies on lab testing equipment to determine appropriate product specification ranges.
- Perform reliability studies and audit within department to determine areas of training needed in QA.
- Provide cross training for QA Technicians.
- Develop new written procedures/work instructions/records, documenting all lab responsibilities.
- Continuously update written procedures/work instructions/records as business needs change, and as more efficient methods are determined.
- Review daily records, recognize trends and identify problem areas.
- Analyze current sampling/test programs; update to make more effective/efficient.
- Use computer/Excel/word to create new record keeping systems.
- Perpetuate continuous quality improvement though new ideas.
- Fills in for other QA Technicians as needed, provide vacation relief. Able to perform all responsibilities of the QA tech in all areas.
- Order lab supplies.
- Conduct special testing and tasks as required by QA Lead and/or Manager.
- Maintain QA record keeping and filing systems.
- Keep QA lab clean and organized. Maintain housekeeping programs in the QA Laboratory and other QA areas.
- Prepare samples for outside testing.
- Prepare sales and customer samples for shipment to required locations.
- Test shelf-life samples for organoleptic characteristics.
- Develop batch reports for blenders / analyze batches to optimize maximum concentrate usage.
- Monitor and evaluate CIP and COP cleaning processes.
Compensation and benefits:
- Compensation- DOE
- Optional health insurance for employees and dependents
- Company paid short and long-term disability
- Dental insurance for employee and dependents
- Vision insurance
- Optional supplemental life for employee and dependents
- Flexible spending plan through payroll deductions
- 401(k) plan with company match
- 8 paid holidays per calendar year
- Generous PTO policy
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, or membership in any other group protected by federal, state, or local law.
We are a Drug-Free Workplace.
Please visit our website: www.countrypure.com